Musicians Union Local 99 is an organization of over 500 musicians in Oregon and SW Washington.
We are affiliated with the American Federation of Musicians, which comprises over 60,000 musicians in the United States and Canada.
We are a democratic organization, with elected leadership from among our members. We hold membership meetings at least three times a year, at which we get updates from staff, discuss and vote on resolutions, endorsements, and changes to bylaws and our price list, and elect our leadership.
As a union, we negotiate contracts at workplaces across Oregon and SW Washington, advocate for better working conditions for musicians, and support each other through mutual aid, contract enforcement, and professional support.
Local 99 is also the local representative of the AFM for musicians on national contracts working in the Local 99 jurisdiction:
- Touring musicians (solo artists, bands, theatre, etc.)
- Recording sessions being produced by major labels/subsidiaries
- Commercial jingles for signatory ad agencies
- Scoring sessions for Film & TV
- On-screen performances for Film & TV
* If you do this sort of work, contact the Local 99 office 1) to find out if it is covered by a union contract, or 2) to explore how to get it covered.
Local 99 was established in 1899. In 1973, we bought a building at 325 NE 20th Ave in Portland. There we have our staff offices, as well as a large rehearsal hall/event space that is free for members to use.
Want to learn more?
You can read more about the history of the AFM here: https://www.afm.org/125-years-afm-history/
Experience the benefits of unity and collective power.
Interested in what we do? Learn more about The Union, and start building community with fellow musicians.