Opportunities for Employment in Music
There are ongoing opportunities to find steady employment as a musician. Below you’ll find local union orchestras and organizations who hold auditions for longer-term work.
Looking for Freelance work? Take a look at the Local 99 Gigs page (available for members only).
The following local union orchestras have occasional openings for tenured musicians. They post their auditions on their websites, as well as in the International Musician (the AFM’s monthly publication).
- Oregon Symphony – https://www.orsymphony.org/about/careers/
- Portland Opera – https://www.portlandopera.org/about/auditions/
- Oregon Ballet Theatre – https://www.obt.org/company/orchestra/orchestra-auditions/
- Eugene Symphony* – https://eugenesymphony.org/about-us/get-involved/auditions
* this group’s union contract is negotiated by Local 689, not Local 99
If you would like to be considered for sub work in these orchestras, you should contact the principal(s) of the section you play in; most are always looking for more skilled musicians to have on their lists.
The following musical theatre companies have Local 99 contracts and hold auditions for either their full season or individual shows. They post their auditions on their websites.